Sunday, May 23, 2010

Thank ya kindly!

I'm nearing the end of my first Sweater Girls knit-a-long project - the Annetrelac Socks by Sandy Beadle. Nearing the end meaning I'm 4 inches from done and I've hit the wall. The worst part of having gigantic feet is that it takes FOREVER to knit yourself a sock. Seriously, knitting stockinette stitch for 8 inches to finish a sock sucks. At least when you are doing the leg you have a pattern to keep it interesting and turning the heel is always an adventure. I digress....

I came to the realization that I learned how to knit a year and a half ago. That's it! And here I am knitting entrelac! I've taught myself double knitting for the space invaders scarf, intarsia for the tea towel set, and how to knit socks two at a time on 1 circular needle for the infamous ravelympic socks. All in 18 months!

Thank you #1 is a huge thank you to my mom. She showed me how to knit when I was home visiting and it has become a hobby we can share despite the distance. She is always there when I call and say, "HELP! I've screwed it up!" and more recently when I say, "I'm not sure what pattern to use with this fantastic yarn." or "Shrugs take a deceptive number of yards!". (Seriously, look at a pattern for a shrug. I bet you it's about 1000 yards. For a tiny little almost sweater.) So thank you Mom!

Thank you #2 is to Cheryl and the ladies of the Fiber Closet Thursday knitting group. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of the group from 2000 miles away. Thank you for asking my mom how I'm doing and what I'm knitting. Thank you for allowing her to brag when someone decides to write an article about a student group I co-founded. Thank you for sending your unwanted stash to a poor grad student with extreme yarn lust and the budget of a, well, a grad student (Thanks Barbara!). Thank you to each and every one of you.

I knit these socks in Ty-Dy Socks by Knit One Crochet Too in Blue Pansy. I have really enjoyed knitting with this yarn. The colors are right up my alley. It wasn't prone to splitting, which I think is critical for knitting entrelac, especially for someone teaching them-self entrelac as they go. I will edit this post to add in the all finished modeling pix!

So a ginormous thank you to everyone and Happy knitting to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment